B5 A4 engine/trans pull?

*NSFW* General Discussion, Place to shoot the shit, Come out of the closet or Whatever else your little hearts desire

B5 A4 engine/trans pull?

Postby Fizzo20 » May 1st, 2015, 7:39 pm

So I currently have a B5 A4 1.8T Q 5-speed that has an immaculately running engine/trans but the body is quite rough. I have sourced another clean body with a toasted motor, better colour and more options! My plan is to swap my powertrain and drivetrain (less km) into the better body. Both cars are 2001 and have the AWM engine so it's a direct swap.

How difficult is it to pull the whole motor/trans together? Any special tools I would need? (I have all the tools to do a MK2 teardown) I would also want to swap the rear diff since mine has less km and I know it runs flawlessly. Any maintenance I should do to the motor while it's out? (186k km) My timing belt/h2o pump aren't due yet but I think I'll do them at this point anyway. I also want to swap my entire interior into the new car. Any tips for this swap?

And yes, it'll be getting coilovers and wheels too!

My current one (this is the good side of the car)

The new shell

"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"
-Faraaz
MK2 Jetta Coupe VR6 - Summer daily - Build thread/Pics
B5 A4 1.8T Quattro - Winter daily
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Re: B5 A4 engine/trans pull?

Postby golf1 » May 2nd, 2015, 2:38 am

If you plan on using/pulling both engine and tranny i would recommend dropping them together with the subframe. It makes it a hell of a lot easier and quicker. I dropped my b5 s4 motor in about 2 hours this way, and Conor dropped his a4 assembly the same way quickly.
Curtis. 76 Rabbit, 81 Caddy, 84 Cabby
golf1
0-100

Postby Fizzo20 » May 2nd, 2015, 4:46 am

golf1 wrote:If you plan on using/pulling both engine and tranny i would recommend dropping them together with the subframe. It makes it a hell of a lot easier and quicker. I dropped my b5 s4 motor in about 2 hours this way, and Conor dropped his a4 assembly the same way quickly.

Is that possible without a lift? And why did you drop your S4 motor out?
"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey!"
-Faraaz
MK2 Jetta Coupe VR6 - Summer daily - Build thread/Pics
B5 A4 1.8T Quattro - Winter daily
Fizzo20
I Am In A Gang?

Postby TheVdubFire » May 8th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Faraaz, I don't see you for a week and you get a new car already? Haha Im glad that you are dropping that old shell, it was not worth fixing it. The swap shouldn't be that bad from hat I found on Internet, but you will have to get the subframe aligned I think, at a shop.
2011 VW Golf Sportline 2.5 CandyWhite
1990 VW Jetta Coupe OEM+ ABA build
_______
Anar Samedi
TheVdubFire
DasDubbers Member

Return to DasDubbers Garage